Monday, October 15, 2012

Survival of the Heritage

Tanner Bierstedt (student at Austin College): "My main reason for learning the German language is to keep my rich heritage alive. I am tired of sitting on the sidelines of my elders conversations. I want to hear all the stories of the old country, of my ancestors, and the family secrets. Learning German is the only way i can obtain this knowledge and pass it on to my children and theirs in the language of their ancestors. When I raise my children I intend to make sure that they are fluent in both English and German. This will help them keep their horizons broad and the family heritage alive and well. Taking a German course will mean a lot more to me than just getting a credit, it will mean the survival of the Bierstedt heritage."

No comments:

Post a Comment